Arts Workshops and Field Trips
In keeping with the organization's mission to advance the development of a cohesive community by providing exposure to, understanding of, and respect for the cultural arts of the Americas through the provision of creative collaborations, we offer numerous options for cultural, artistic, musical, and educational workshops with both local and visiting teaching artists.
Most of our teaching artists are bilingual, so workshops can be offered in English, Spanish, or a combination of the two languages. Programming can also be customized to the school's curriculum or issues in the community. Here are just a few examples of some of the workshops we’ve offered in the past, but we are always open to creating new programs that fit the interest of the program, on or off-site.
- CANTANDO EN ESPAÑOL: Sing along to original songs composed by El Taller's Founder and Artistic Director, Bernardo Palombo (Argentina), many of which were the first bilingual songs for Sesame Street and featured on El Taller's production of Grammy Award Winner Dan Zanes &Friends' Nueva York. Children and adults alike will enjoy this musical journey through the Americas all while learning basic Spanish vocabulary like foods, weather, and parts of the body. Recommended for ages 4+.
- CARIBBEAN RHYTHMS & PERCUSSION: Explore rhythms from Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico. The objective is to engage participants in learning unique musical rhythms and their function through hands-on participation in a percussion ensemble. Participants will become acquainted and experiment with a variety of traditional instruments including congas, bongos, bells and other minor percussion. Recommended for ages 5+.
- CARIBBEAN DANCE — MERENGUE & BACHATA: Learn rhythms of the Caribbean through a participatory dance program. Students will have an immersive experience, learning the rhythms, steps and movements of Merengue and Bachata along with history of how they developed. Recommended for ages 8+.
- SALSA: Discover the native dance of El Barrio, learning the rhythms and movements of Salsa dance. Individuals will discuss the history of the art form and then work on some basic steps, both individually and with partners. Recommended for ages 8+.
- TANGO — MUSIC & DANCE OF ARGENTINA: Following a brief presentation about the history of Tango music and dance in Argentina, participants will enjoy a live presentation of popular Argentinean tangos followed by a brief tango lesson for beginners. Recommended for ages 12+.
- CARIBBEAN ENVIRONMENT GLITTER-GLOBES — A RECYCLED ART PROJECT: Each participant will be asked to bring a medium-sized glass jar, in which they will create a diorama of the Caribbean environment. Students will first learn basic vocabulary about colors, animals, and environment common to the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Puerto Rico. Recommended for children ages 4+.
- ANIMAL MOSAICS: Each participant will use natural elements, such as beans, peas and lentils, to create a natural mosaic of animal life from a Latin American country. This workshop can be taught using animals from Mexico, the Amazonian Jungle or the Galapagos Islands/Ecuador. Recommended for children ages 4+.
- MASK MAKING: Easily adaptable to various ages and educational levels, participants in this fun and hands-on art workshop will learn about traditional carnival masks from different Latin American cultures. Participants will choose one of two mask templates and can choose from a wide array of art supplies and found objects to decorate the mask. Recommended for ages 5+.
- MURAL MAKING: After a brief presentation about the cultural significance of murals in Latin America and El Barrio, participants will collaborate to develop and then paint their own mural to be displayed in their school, neighborhood or community. Recommended for ages 6+.
- PIÑATAS MEXICANAS: In this two-part workshop, participants will learn about the traditions and customs of Mexican piñatas. In the first part, each participant will design and construct their own original piñata while the second portion of the workshop will be dedicated to decorating the structure. Recommended for ages 8+. Multiple day project.
- CARTOON/COMIC BOOK-MAKING: Led by award-winning Mexican cartoonist and illustrator Felipe Galindo, participants will learn about Felipe’s work, which sheds a humorous light on the Mexican immigrant experience in Manhattan. Each participant will then be led in a drawing lesson and create their own cartoon or comic book. Recommended for ages 9+.
WORKSHOP PRICING AND AVAILABILITY:
Pricing is dependent upon the number of participants, transportation costs, and teaching artist fees. Availability is also subject to the schedule of the teaching artist. Please contact us by email or phone to make a reservation and create a workshop experience that matches your program's specific needs.